Sunday, February 27, 2011

How I saved $64 at the grocery store

With the price of groceries going up and expected to rise more it's important for me to maximize my grocery shopping budget. I have a system that I find is useful and helps to keep me focused on the items I need.
Each week I look over the ads for the stores, making my list and matching coupons to sale items.
One of the grocery stores doubles 5 coupons up to $1.00 twice a week, when you spend $25.00 which isn't hard to do these days! Doubling the coupons helps to bring the grocery total way down! After reviewing the ads I then go to my pantry and cupboards to see what I need based on what's on sale that week and add those items to my list.
On one of my better grocery shopping trips I was able to get 38 items for $19.73 for  a total  savings of $64!
One of the featured items that week was a new pasta that had come out on sale for $1.00, there were also $1.00/1 coupons in the paper before that so I knew I would be getting some FREE pasta!
Some might think this system takes too much time, but it really doesn't and the organization  helps.
I think I spend an hr. or so each week and that includes clipping and organizing my coupons.
I will be talking more about how to save with coupons in a future post. Save your receipts and give this method a try. You will be shocked when you compare previous receipts to this new method of shopping, the nice surprise will be the extra money you have to put towards other things you need.
Until next time, happy shopping! L.

No comments:

Post a Comment