Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Keeping a price book

I have heard  in the past that it's a good idea to keep a price book.
This can be a simple small notepad or notebook that fits easily in your purse or bag.You jot down the names of the stores you normally shopand a store you normally wouldn't shop,  then price compare the items or sale items you normally buy and enter them in your price book. Since most stores have "cycles" that usually run in 6 to 12 week periods you then know what will be on sale and when so you can stock up if the price is right.
I never tried this because I felt I could just remember prices for items and that it would be extra work to do so. Was I ever wrong!

Almost all of the Target stores near me now carry groceries, they also price match if you bring in the competing stores ad, and give a .05 discount for each reusable bag you bring in. (Although many times you need to remind the cashier to give you credit for this, it all adds up!)  I made it my first assignment to price compare Target vs. the grocery stores. Since there is a grocery store that doubles coupons on Wednesdays and Saturdays I decided this would be the place to start. During Holiday baking time I was shocked and amazed that Target was over $1.00 cheaper on the dipping chocolate I needed even if I had doubled coupons! Another area Target beat the competition hands down was the meat dept. they were having a sale, with the sale price over $1.00 cheaper per lb. on ground beef.
So, you may want to try this experiment with a few of the stores in your town. Especially now with the high price of gas, it really helps to save every penny on groceries since the prices on many items has increased!

Until next time. L.

No comments:

Post a Comment